Belkin FM Transmitter 6 F8Z618CW Phones Phone Accessories
I previously owned a Griffin Roadtrip FM transmitter, which I was pretty pleased with when I had an iPhone 3GS. However, when I got an iPhone 4S the Griffin could no longer hold it (no suitable cradle). So a replacement was needed…
This product was substantially cheaper than the Roadtrip, so my expectations weren’t too high. However, now that I have received the item my first impressions are good. Set up was a doddle and I didn’t really need to read the instructions. It found a good signal quickly and locked in well. Better than the Griffin unit actually. Also it seemed to hold the reception at least as well as the Griffin and probably a bit better. the fact you can also get an accompanying free iphone app that makes channel selection/changing even easier is a plus.
A good product so far – I’d recommend it, as long as you are aware of the general limitations with FM transmitters and have sensible expectations of the sound quality (bit like listening to the radio).
One thing to be aware of – this almost didn’t fit my Ford Focus. In the Focus the cigarette lighter in sunk in a deep recessed ‘cubby hole’ – this made it hard for the ‘arm’ of the device to fit in…i was able to manage it, but i can pretty much just put it in one positon, which I’m lucky happens to be OK for me. Bit of a struggle though. I think this is the problem with other fixed arm FM transmitters too – a lot depends on the placement of your cigarette lighter/power outlet.
Was this review helpful to you?
Received the belkin wireless car transmitter and it was as advertised and well packaged. It works great with my iphone in the car over the radio network. excellent product and at a great price.
Using with Iphone 4 in a Peugeot 307.Good points:1. Belkin, good quality & worked straight out of the box. Very simple to set up and very good reception. Song titles and artist scrolled on my radio2. Sturdy car plug – good tight fit using a semi-rigid plastic disk at the end of the plug. (This made the fit so good in my cigarette lighter that I pulled the socket out of the dash !)3. The main unit will not flop around in the socket.4. The control panel rotates – means its easy to set up the unit in a comfortable position.5. Good fitting Iphone plug – no problems.6. Phone holder rotates as well – easy to set up for landscape / portrait.
Bad points : Not many – but enough that I know they will bug me – so returning :
1. The best configuration is with cigarette lighter sockets that are horizontal, as the bendy arm is at 90 degrees to the plug. My socket is vertical in the centre console close to gearstick, so space is limited – I think I could have persevered and found a good position, but it was definitely awkward in my car as it interfered with the gearstick – especially in 4th and reverse gears.
2. In the configuration above the bendy arm is not strong enough to hold the weight of the holder and phone out horizontally, so it slowly drooped down. This annoyed me after 10 secs – I would have been very very annoyed after a week ……in a vertical configuration I would expect it to have been much much better.
3. I know from past experiences that this type of bendy arm can be problematic. They are fairly stiff and rigid – and dont actually bend very easily. Thats OK if you can find a good position and leave the unit set-up. But don’t expect to keep being able to bend the arm to new positions – it WILL break.
4. THe phone holder mechanism is fiddly – it will hold the phone OK – but dont expect to just click your phone in position quickly, and the cradle isnt really designed for the IPHONE 4
5. Biggest problem for me is that although the unit transmits through the radio – THIS IS ONLY FOR PLAYING YOUR MUSIC THROUGH. The unit does mute the radio volume for calls – but you are using the phone speaker and not the radio speakers.
So with an Iphone docked and playing music, you need to answer the phone and switch to speaker mode – thats a bit of a faff – and you’re supposed to be driving !
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
CAPTCHA Code *
You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>
Copyright © translogistics.co.uk 2013- All Rights Reserved